Pastoral Council Meeting
Monday, June 8, 2020
Members Present: Julie Harman, Steve Gregoire, Lou Angles, Libby Hernandez, Kevin Nordhues, Arsenio Arciga, Dan Bacon, Hugo Mendoza, Patrick Schaub.
Members Absent: Marla Neal
Guests: Father Mike, Deacon Chuck, Jim Newell, Jennifer Smith & Troy Sheeley
Opening prayer by Father Mike. Julie opened the meeting at about 7:02 pm. Minutes from the April & May 2020 meeting were approved.
Jim Newell’s Discussions:
- New window shades on all the South windows of our lower level.
- There are to be new flowers for the fountain this coming weekend (June 13&14)
Deacon Chuck’s Discussions
- Quadrupled attendance at mass this last weekend
- There is a general reduction in attendance at this time of year when families take vacations.
- Half of the RCIA group as already been brought in with the last half coming this weekend for a total of 20.
- Confirmation of those that missed the 1st Confirmation time (only 3) is to take place on the last weekend in June.
- Bishop’s Annual Appeal is coming up in November. He mentioned that the Diocese has been supporting us, so we should support them.
- First Communion scheduled for a couple weekends in July.
Jennifer Smith’s Discussions
- Homebound instruction for the children – Many schools have been teaching to lower standards, but St. James remained at high standards.
- We stayed in close communication with families – STAYED CONNECTED.
- Virtual May Crowning
- 8th grade retreat via ZOOM
- 8th grade graduation ceremony is planned for June 24th
- Summer instruction was discussed
- Usually require reading from the students
- Reading & Math practice is laid back or low-key
- Students log into computers 3 times per week
- Parents remain connected with teachers
- Kids have also learned a bit about what their teachers have been doing.
- About 97-98% have stayed connected
- Special efforts made to keep 8th graders engaged.
- One teacher went to visit an 8th grader who was behind
- Open Wednesday, Aug. 19th for new school year
- 26 full-time teachers
- Father received good response from families who were happy with the 1 on 1 contact during COVID
- There are presently openings in every grade level with the upper grades the fullest.
Troy Sheeley’s Discussions (Do Dads)
- Work is being done to put a shelter over the picnic tables behind the cafeteria.
- BBQ is scheduled for the end of August – likely Aug. 28-29.
- Color Run is scheduled for the Saturday of the BBQ, tentatively Aug. 28
- 5K run where different colors of powdered paint are thrown at the runners at the end of their run.
Father Mike’s Discussions:
- Re-opening of the church went well
- Some churches have still NOT opened
- There has been a slight increase in attendance at the daily masses
- Giving was down $30K in April and $20K in May
- Government payroll protection was extended 4 extra weeks
- Capital Campaign payments remain good
- Gifts for those in need continue to come in
- Father thanked the pastoral council for all their support during re-opening
Dan Bacon’s Discussions:
- A curbside K of C Shrimp Boil is scheduled for June 19th at 5-8 pm
- 3 knights in the kitchen; some taking orders; some bagging the food ; and some delivering the orders to the parking lot.
- Menu: Tilapia, shrimp, potato, coleslaw and all the “fixins”
- Credit card, cash or check accepted (no change)
Libby Hernandez’s St. James Auction Discussions:
- We are NOT seeing donations as usual
- Scheduled for Oct. 10th with the theme, “Together in Hope”
- Auction may look a bit different this year…
- Smaller live auction
- Silent auctions will be the same
- 50/50 Raffle
- Mouse races – One can sponsor a mouse
- $50 cost per ticket
- Heavy appetizers with beer and wine
Lou Angles’ Discussions:
- Mowing of the St. James grounds
- Tractors and mowers donated
- 3 mowing teams made up from members of K of C, the Do-Dads & TMIY
- Savings estimated at $20K
Julie Harman Discussion:
- Pastoral Council Members – Please be careful about what we put on Social Media as we are representatives of the church.
Next meeting – Generally the pastoral council takes off the months of July and Aug., but with the pandemic issue, there has been discussion about meeting during those months – Julie will let us know.
Closing Prayer – Father Mike – Prayer of Gratitude – The Lord’s Prayer